Editor’s Note: This review of “Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken” was written during the 2023 WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes. Real Mom of SFV would like to acknowledge that without the labor of the writers and actors who are currently on strike, animated films such as this would not be possible.
Plunge into the action with the all-new coming-of-age aquatic adventure in DreamWorks Animation’s, “Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken” Collector’s Edition, available now on Digital and Blu-ray/DVD on September 26th!
The film features voice actors Lana Condor, Toni Collette, Annie Murphy, Jaboukie Young-White, Colman Domingo and Jane Fonda.
Earlier this year, my daughter and I visited the DreamWorks Animation campus to watch an early screening of “Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken.” You can read all about our fun experience, plus my movie review here.
So what is “Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken” about? Check out the synopsis below!
“Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken,” is a heartwarming action comedy about a shy teenager who discovers that she’s part of a legendary royal lineage of mythical sea krakens and that her destiny, in the depths of the oceans, is bigger than she ever dreamed. Learning to be an all-powerful sea creature while hiding among humans is hard enough for Ruby, but to make matters worse, her super popular new bestie, Chelsea, is secretly a mermaid! Mermaids have been battling the Krakens for eons to rule the ocean, but Chelsea has come to land to finally put an end to that conflict. However, when Chelsea double-crosses her, Ruby will ultimately need to embrace who she is and GO BIG to protect those she loves most.
Unleash waves of excitement, as your new favorite teenage hero dashes into homes with over an hour of bonus content! I just know that you’ll want to make a splash with your kids and bring this film home to add to your movie collection. The digital release is available now and the Blu-ray and DVD versions will be released on September 26, 2023.
Bonus Features on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital include:
- DELETED SCENES WITH INTROS – Introductions by Co-Director Faryn Pearl
-WALK TO SCHOOL
-CRAB ‘N SKATE
- OCEANSIDE DRAWING GUIDE – Head of story, Glenn Harmon, will teach everyone how to draw Ruby Gillman in her teenager and kraken forms, Grandmamah, Chelsea, and mermaid Chelsea.
-CHELSEA VAN DER ZEE
- MAKE YOUR OWN AQUARIUM – With a few simple products and a little imagination, you can bring the undersea world into your own home.
-WELL OF SEAS
- SQUAD SOLIDARITY: ADVENTURES IN ADR
- THE KRAKEN: MYTH OR MONSTER – In this animated piece narrated by Lana Condor and Annie Murphy, we dive deep into the mysteries of krakens and discover how stories of these mythical beasts have evolved over hundreds and hundreds of years.
- MEET THE GILLMAN CAST – Meet the cast behind your favorite RUBY GILLMAN, TEENAGE KRAKEN characters and discover what they loved about lending their voices to this aquatic adventure!
- THE KRAKEN KREW: MEET THE HUMANS BEHIND THE GILLMANS
- PROM STORIES – Ruby’s greatest wish was to attend prom with her friends and crush Connor! Here, the cast of the movie share their own prom stories and explain how they would design a promposal.
- SUPER SEA GIRL BESTIES – If you can see it, you can be it! In this piece we meet the talented women involved in the making of RUBY GILLMAN, TEENAGE KRAKEN.
- FEATURE COMMENTARY – with Director Kirk DeMicco, Co-Director Faryn Pearl, Producer Kelly Cooney Cilella, Head of Character Animation Carlos Fernandez Puertolas and Head of Cinematography, Layout Jon Gutman.
“Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken” is rated PG.
“Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken” has a run time of approximately 1 hour and 31 minutes.
Disclosure: No monetary compensation was received for this post. This blog post is for informational purposes. I received a complimentary copy of the movie which helped facilitate this write-up. Images shown in this post are used with permission. As always, my opinions are 100% my own.