Last week I attended a screening for the first episode of Kevin From Work. Office romance, a crazy boss, smelly break rooms, these are the topics that are touched on in this zany TV comedy about life in the cube farm (otherwise known as work). I’m sure a lot of us can relate to some of these issues. I know I’ve had a crazy boss (or two) & it’s well documented on social media how people hate the smells coming from the workplace kitchen (hello burnt popcorn & smelly fish, I’m talking about you!)
The show itself is cute & funny. There are cute animated animals that pop-up every time Kevin thinks of Audrey. The comedic chemistry between Noah Reid (Kevin) & his best friend Brian (played by Matt Murray) is undeniable. They are hilarious together in their scenes. Kevin’s wacky sister played by Jordan Hinson), gossipy coworker (Jason Rogel) & Audrey’s crazy roommate Patti (Punam Patel) round out the cast. Take a look at the promo spot…
Not only did I see a screening last night, but the entire cast (minus Amy Sedaris) was there for a Q&A session. Here are ten things I learned about the cast & Kevin From Work show.
- Paige Spara plays Audrey, Kevin’s love interest & this is Paige’s television debut.
- Matt Murray plays Kevin’s best friend Brian. He is a Detroit native. You may remember him from the TV show Rookie Blue.
- Noah Reid plays Kevin (the lead character) & hails from Toronto, Canada. He guest-starred on Rookie Blue, where he met Matt Murray.
- During the Q&A, Paige Spara revealed that Noah Reid was the voice of Franklin (every child’s favorite turtle) from the animated TV show Franklin.
- Punam Patel plays Patti, Audrey’s roommate & is a sketch comedian/improv actor from The Second City in Chicago.
- Jason Rogel plays Ricky & is SoCal native – born & raised in the LBC (Long Beach). After the screening and Q&A, the crowd sang “Happy Birthday” to him since it was his b-day. You may have seen Jason in the TV show State of Georgia with Raven-Symoné.
- Jordan Hinson’s first big break came from a Disney Channel movie called Go Figure where she played an aspiring figure skater. When not acting, she can be found writing screenplays & contemplating her next tattoo!
- When asked how the cast is similar to their respective characters, Jordan replied that she is similar to Roxie in that she is very spontaneous.
- Punam said that it was fun to not suppress the “crazy” side of Patti. Punam also revealed that she got to ad lib some of her lines, which makes sense since she has an improv background.
- McG directed the TV series (you know him as the guy who produced Supernatural, The O.C. & Nikita).
“Kevin From Work” is a workplace comedy about a young man who announces his love to a co-worker just before accepting another job, only to find out that his offer has been rescinded and he’s stuck with his crush.
The ABC Family show premieres on Wednesday, August 12th with back to back episodes.
Have you ever been involved in a workplace romance? Will you watch “Kevin From Work” on ABC Family? Sound off in the comments below!
Disclosure: No monetary compensation was received for this post. I attended a media screening which helped facilitate this review. Thank you to ABC Family & OK! Magazine for the invite! All images & opinions are 100% my own.